Sunday, February 2, 2020

Late Night Thought on Marriage

Charles H. Perkins

Late Night Thought on Marriage

(Ephesians 5:25)“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her…”

Often when I talk about how I feel about my marriage, someone will say, “You are saying all of this good stuff. But, WHAT WOULD YOUR WIFE SAY IF SHE WERE HERE???!!! WOULD SHE SPEAK OF YOUR MARRIAGE LIKE YOU?” They always say it with such conviction.  And they hit me with the sharp eyed stare. I have always found that to be a rather humorous comment and question. First of all, I tell them that I don’t speak for my wife.  She is not a puppet.  She is quite capable of speaking for herself.  I can only speak for my part.  Would she say what I say? Does she love as much as I do.  No.  How could she?  Remember, we are Christians.  If I am loving her as Christ loves the Church, how could she love me as much as I love her?  Can the Church love Jesus as much as He loves the Church? Of course not.  So, if I am loving her as Christ loves the church, no matter how much she loves me, she will never love me more than I love her.  If she ever does, then I am not loving her enough.  I never stop growing in my love for her just as Christ never stops revealing His love for the Church.  So, as the Church can never catch up to Christ’s love, a wife should never be able to catch up to her husband’s love. That’s Bible.  And that is what I live by.

No comments: