Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How We Met...The Beginning

I remember the most important parts of the night well. I was at a wedding reception, having as nice a time as you can have at a wedding reception. I thought about the fact that I lived close to the event and decided to have an impromptu party. I was always a good party host and could put a party together very quickly if necessary. So, I spread the word that there would be an after party and to come on by. Now, I did not know any of the people at the affair except the bride and groom, so, I wasn’t sure who would show up. I just figured that whoever did come, we would all have a good time. I left the reception and headed for the store to get some party starting supplies. I bought some Bali Hai pineapple wine and some 7UP to make some punch. I got some chips and dip to munch on and headed home to prepare for my guests, who ever they might be.

People started to drift in and avail themselves of the punch and chips. They danced and were having a good time. I was sitting in a chair facing my front door and greeting folks as they came. All of a sudden, I saw this long, brown leg step up on my porch. The rest of the body followed and suddenly standing at my door was this tall ~Black Is Beautiful~ sista with wire framed glasses and an Angela Davis styled natural that seemed to be moving to the music. As she stuck her head inside the door, she asked, “Is this the party?” I remember thinking, “Now it is.” But, I simply replied, “Yes.” She came in and became the party for me. I did not see her at the reception, but, now, I couldn’t see anyone but her. She had my undivided attention from that moment on. One of the most popular Doo Wop songs of all time is the piece “I Only Have Eyes For You” by the Flamingos. At that moment, I can truly say that I only had eyes for her.

We talked and danced and talked some more. I found out that she was a senior at San Jose State University planning to become a teacher. Since she was in college, I knew that she had most probably only been dating college boys. So, being a man, I didn’t view them as any possible competition for her affections should it progress that far. The more we talked, the more I wanted to really get to know her. To this day, I don’t remember anything about anyone else at the party. I have no idea how many people came. I don’t know if they enjoyed themselves. I don’t know when they left. I do know that she was there and I was there and we connected. Everything else, everyone else was irrelevant. I actually met the love of my life in my own living room.

She was only in town for the wedding and had to leave to go back to school the next day. So, before she left the party, I got her address so that I could write to her. We wrote back and forth and when she would come into L.A. to visit her family, we would get together. Time went on and we eventually fell in love. Now, I was just coming out of a divorce and the last thing I thought about was getting into a relationship. And I definitely wasn’t looking for a wife. But, I knew that she was one that I shouldn’t let pass. One day, we went out for a ride and came back married. We have been together ever since.

Obviously, we had to over come some things. We almost broke up a couple of times. But, we decided to stay the course. And when we decided to do it God’s way through His Word, our relationship and our love took off and continues to soar to greater heights. So, after over 30 years, I can look at her and still say, as the song says, “I Only Have Eyes For You!!!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is simply beautiful, a true love story. All I could do was laugh as I read this.

I think that there is a valuabel lesson here. It is that there really is a connection that exists between people who truly are made for each other. Not every relationship has that quality.

Thanks