Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Life I Write About

There is an old B.B. King song that says, "I want to live the life that I sing about in my song." I have always loved that thought because I want to live the life that I write about in my poetry, articles and music. So far, the Lord has blessed me to do just that. I have had a great life. Every father wants his children to have a better life than he had. I want the same for my children. I know that they will eventually have more money than me. I never made a lot of money. I know that they will have nicer houses than I do. I have a nice house but, I know that theirs will be nicer at some point. They will definitely own more things than I do. But, I'm not sure that it is possible for them to have a better life than I have had. I hope that they have as good of a life as I have. When I think about it, I have done everything that was important to me so far. From 4 years old, I wanted to be a musician and entertainer. I did that for over 20 years. I wanted to travel. I have done that and still have borders to cross. I wanted a wife that I could truly love and grow old with loving as deeply a possible. I have a wife that is forever young and has continued to love an old dude like me just as I love her for over 30 years. I have a son, daughter and granddaughter that I love and they return to me the love that I have for them. I wanted a relationship with God, a strong loving relationship with Him. I have that. My love for the Lord eventually led me to wanting to go into ministry. I am doing that. So, I have all that is important to me in life so far.

Being aware of what is important in life is a top priority for anyone. In marriage, this awareness is particularly important. The job, the career, the education, the house…all of that is important. But, the relationship is of supreme importance if you want a good or great marriage. With my wife and me, everything flows out of our relationship with God. It is through our relationship with Him that we relate to one another. As we get closer to Him, we get closer to each other.

In these articles, I am not trying to write a bunch of "how to" essays. I don't want to present "Marriage in 12 Easy Steps", "The 1, 2, 3's of Marriage" or "The ABC'S of Marriage." I am just trying to challenge you to think differently about your marriage. I want you to recognize what a wonderful opportunity you have to do something really special in the sharing of your life with another person. In living the life that I write about, I have grown to love both God and my wife more than I ever dreamed possible. I think this combination is the greatest gift parents can give to their children. When your children see you living a life of love for God and living a life of love for each other, that is a great gift. They know that it is possible to stay faithful to God and they know that a happy marriage is possible. It gives them a high standard to aspire to. It gives them hope. And, they most probably won't settle for just anything just to be married. My hope and prayer is that my children can find as much joy and contentment in both God and marriage as I have.

I truly hate the high divorce rate that we have now. And, just as much, I hate the mediocrity that has crept into marriages these days. I hate the idea that people have settled for this with the frame of mind that there is nothing they can do about it. Young people are afraid to get married these days because of the lousy marriages that they see around them. Older married people feel trapped in poor relationships with no way out. I am writing these blogs with the hope that someone will be inspired and encouraged by the fact that there are good and indeed great marriages out here. I am hoping that no matter how long you have been married you will want to make it better. If it is bad, make it good. If it is good, make it great. Do what ever it takes to fix what ever is wrong. That may mean counseling. It will definitely mean praying. And in the end, it will take change. And the change has to be in you.

Start writing and living your own love song or poem. Become the husband, become the wife that you need to be to take your marriage to the next level. Fall in love with one another all over again and write a new love song for your lives together. Again, this is just a couple of thoughts as to why I am writing these blogs. I love a good marriage. When my daughter asked me to publish this series of blogs, my only wishes were that someone would learn to love God more and someone would learn to love his or her spouse more. I hope that is happening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate the love and wisdom that emantes from the writer. Not only does it provide hope in a world where relationships are so flighty, it provides expectation, God being the pivotal factor, or the focal point.

Good marriages are made in Heaven, and God is in every one of them. Thank you, and please keep up the Incredible work. Single or married, we all need it.

Thanks

Neil